Sudden attacks of acute back pain can be very painful, but that doesn't mean that you always have a "bad back". Of course, the most acute pain caused due to any chronic problems, but as soon as he left, the state of the mouse, ligaments, joints, the back is less critical, what can we do to eliminate the chronic causes. The mainstay of treatment of acute attacks of back pain certified program of exercise in combination with others. In this section you will learn what you need to do, if you started the attack when to call a doctor, familiar with the step recovery program, which includes the practice of postures, relaxation, self-help techniques.
Causes of acute pain
The most common cause of acute pain in the back or the chronic, long-existing diseases, such as bad posture or weak muscles in the abdomen. These differences can increase the load, the stress, the spine, the muscles, the spine, to an extent, the damage. Degenerative processes such as osteoarthritis and osteoporosis, if the development has reached the stage of tissue damage can also cause acute pain in back. In such cases, in a day or two you may find temporary relief, but it is very likely that the cramping is repeated until the chronic reason.
Chronic causes acute pain in back
If the sharp pain that the injury caused due to chronic diseases, the most likely cause of the following.
- The incorrect posture;
- Weakness of the abdominal muscles;
Mechanical causes of acute pain
Chronic conditions are not always the main cause of acute back pain. Very often an attack can be provoked by movement, which in itself is insignificant, for example the inclination of the lying on the ground, bag. In fact, before the damage occurred a day or two, a regular physical stress. When the muscles, or trying to protect your spine for the unusual load, it's very tense, like the ligaments, vertebrae, and discs. The next day, the muscles harden, which hurts, or relax, to such extent, is unable to support the spine while the ligaments, joints not yet returned to the normal state. Such a purely mechanical failure destabilizie the whole system, and the result is a seemingly insignificant move can become the last straw that causes a muscle spasm, sprain of ligaments, a fracture, or inflammation of the joint. The bad, the weight lifting, the tension, the unusual load — the typical reasons for sharp pain.
Incorrect lifting, for example, when leaning forward to stuff the trunk of the car, creating additional stress on the back. If you lift weights stooping, joints tension is stronger, and this leads to the fact that the already weakened joint, disc or tape is not able to cope with the extra load.
Excessive or unusual physical exertion
Strenuous exercise, especially associated with rotations of the body (tennis or dance lessons), or often cause acute back pain. Certain types of exercise movements to steer, especially in one direction (forward bend), in one group of muscles. The muscles, the other group was stretched, weakened, and no longer able to shrink, reject the case back. This means that the muscles, ligaments will be strong enough or not flexible enough to withstand the increased load when turning the torso.
What to do if the pain?
If you experience a sharp pain first up, what are you doing, lying on the bed or on the ground, even if it means to climb (the only exceptions to this rule are the cases, when all of a sudden your leg or both legs, you had an accident, a fall, or a blow, see the questionnaire below). In the lying position, the load is removed, the spine, the pressure becomes four times lower than in an upright position. The reduced pressure can significantly relieve pain and allows the muscles covered by the protection spazmom, the ability to relax. You can also help yourself effort, which aims to relaxing the mind and the body: try not to worry about the forced immobility, no matter what you do, when the attack began, it's possible to finish.
The best way to reduce pressure on the spine lie on your back. Try to lie down first, without a pillow, but if the pain persists, put the head under. If necessary, place a pillow under your knees to the lumbar spine isn't too curved. If the pain in the legs, put a pillow under your leg so that hip, knee aligned at a right angle, this will help to take the pressure off the sciatic nerve.
In some cases, the position lying on your back, won't ease the pain. If you find this position painful, try the maneuvers you can see the article in a rapid cessation of pain, to find the position in which the pain is not felt. The answers to the questions, the following list will help you determine how serious the problem is to figure out what is the next step.
How serious is the problem?
Use placed under the questionnaire, to figure out what to do in this case, but if in doubt, consult your doctor.
If the situation fits at least one of the following assumptions, do not move, ask someone to call an ambulance.
- You was just an accident.
- Recently dropped or severely bumped.
- Suddenly a cramp in his leg, or both legs.
If the situation fits at least one of the following assumptions immediately consult a doctor. Call the district or contact the emergency room.
- You have chest pain, left arm or left side of the jaw.
- The pain persists, or increases, not to change the situation.
- Feel the woman's weakness in the legs, accompanied by numbness, or difficulty urinating, or defecation.
- The pain is severe, prolonged, and terminated, only if the fall forward.
If the situation fits at least one of the following assumptions, consult your doctor in the next few days.
- You feel numbness or tingling in the arm or leg.
- The last time I lost weight, I feel general malaise, fatigue.
- A woman has the menopause.
- You are pregnant.
- You are a vegetarian or on a diet.
- More than 60 years.
If the situation fits at least one of the following assumptions stay the day in bed, but if there is no improvement, consult a doctor.
- The character of the pain changes when you move or change the position of the body.
- The recently carried out an unusual practice associated with a large load.
- You are awkwardly turned on, or lifting a heavy object.
Rapid elimination of pain (first day)
If the position proposed in the previous article (What to do if the pain), is not satisfactory, try the means as described below, to find the position in which the pain is not felt, to rest for 24 hours, but remember that practice is strictly limited to the amount necessary to reduce inflammation, and prevent immobility. Because the cause of the pain, the different people are different, you have to try every pose and every practice, and thus to find those who are the best help. If there's a change in body position, during exercise you feel that the pain has subsided, take a rest. Conversely, don't stay in any body position, if the pain increases. Try movements on the bed, if you have a hard mattress, or use a gym Mat under it.
Posture to eliminate pain
- Lie on your stomach, hands to the side.
- If the pain is not reduced, put a pillow under your abdomen. If that doesn't work, gently turn the thigh, and then try to the right, then the left side, since the efficiency of any movement is determined by the location of the damage. The head, the hands, so, if you like.
If any exercise causes new or increased pain or increased blood flow, stop right now. If you continue, you can make the problem even worse. The first two days here we offer the exercise should be repeated up to three times, three times a day. The rest of the time just relax. Reduce the pain you can gradually increase the number of repeats up to 10 times each exercise.
- Lie on your back, knees bent, at a right angle, feet have to stay on the ground.
- Flex the lower back, tearing the back on the ground, and forcibly drag on the ground. Ensure that the chest remains motionless, while the hips sway back and forth.
- Repeat the exercise three times, at the end of the exercise, the lower back must take a neutral position midway between the extreme. After two days, start to gradually increase the number of repetitions, this practice 10.
Rotating the knee
- Lie on your back, bend your knees, as in the previous exercise, but the thighs should rest on the ground.
- Shift the knee from side to side, dropping them to the floor, as low as comfortable. Repeat the exercise three times. After two days, start to gradually increase the number of repetitions to 10 times.
Elimination of pain (second day)
If the doctors believed that the best treatment for acute back pain to absolute peace, but now found that it is more effective alternative to other exercise. If within 24 hours I feel no improvement, call your doctor, but if pain is reduced, add to recommended the article "Fast pain" exercises, in the following table. These help to prevent the rigidity of the back muscles, thus reducing the likelihood that the problems in the future, and to maintain muscle tone and strength.
- Lie on your stomach on a mat or a rigid mattress, rising up on his elbow. Relax, stay in this position up to the number 10. Come down, relax; repeat the exercise three times.
- Repeat the first exercise, but this time rising up on the hand, not the elbow.
Lie on your back on a hard surface. Bend your knees at a right angle, and then tighten them to the chest. Keep them in this situation, up to the number 10, then slowly lower legs to the floor. Repeat three times.
Tilts to the side
Stand straight with feet spread shoulder width apart. A little diversion from one hip to the side, the same side where the slide arm, the leg down, you feel the tension, the other side of the hull. Repeat three times. Then complete the exercise in the other direction.
The extension of the back
- Original position, like when bending to the side, hands on hips. Slightly bending back, joining shoulders and slightly lifting the chin, but not so high to look at the ceiling. Repeat three times.
- After completing the last repetition, before you can complete the exercise in a neutral, vertical position, slightly lean forward, rounding shoulders.
Stop immediately if any exercise causes new or increased pain or increased circulation. If you continue, you can make the problem even worse. The first two days here we offer the exercise should be repeated up to three times, three times a day. The rest of the time just relax. Reduce the pain you can gradually increase the number of repeats up to 10 times each exercise.
The road to recovery
If the pain gradually goes away (if not, consult a doctor), and after two days of rest, practice can resume a normal life. To restore the mobility, flexibility, it is important to be as active as possible; of course, you don't have to do anything, which would interfere with the final healing. But now it makes sense, if you rest on your back for an hour or so every day, the fabric of time, healing, self-healing.
If the pain returns
If you're not careful and follow the rules, which are listed in the table that there is a danger that by having an awkward movement, to break up the work, this will lead to the resumption of back pain. If this happens, immediately stop work and lie down on a hard surface, face down or on your back, or accept this position, which previously contributed to the elimination of the pain.
Lying to the side
This situation is not as favourable to the spine, like the others, but it so happens that you are comfortable only in this position. In this case, place a pillow between the knees, the thigh top, not push it forward, which is twisting of the lower spine. Can also be useful to place a pillow against the abdomen, chest, like a pillow, like a hug that supports the spine from the front. No more than a pillow under his head, especially if the pain in the neck or upper back.
What to do or what not to do to get it back
Two days later, to the bed, and return to your normal activities. But don't forget the following:
What not to do
- Not by elevator or stairs.
- Not a difficult chore: I don't vacuum, don't disappear, don't iron.
- Not steep slopes, slopes.
- Do not wear gravity, such as groceries, suitcases, mountains of wet clothes.
- Don't start in the sports activities associated with heavy load.
- Do not sit or stand for long periods without changing posture.