Back pain is a common symptom. Most people at least once in your life meet. This is one of the most common reasons for visits to the doctor, and then leave the job.
Key words: back pain, back pain, spine
Back pain can occur at any age, but is more common between 35 and 55 years. Pain in the spine is related to the way the bones, muscles, intervertebral discs, ligaments, tendons, and nerves.
Back pain is caused by problems with the vertebrae, the discs between the ligaments around the spine, discs, spinal cord, nerves, muscles, internal organs, abdominal, and pelvic areas. Also, because pain in the upper can become diseases of the aorta, tumors of the chest, the inflammation of the spine.
The presence of risk factors increases the likelihood of the development of a certain state. For example, obesity significantly increase the type II diabetes.
The following factors increased risk of back pain:
- office work;
- work, coupled with constant stress;
- pregnancy pregnant women often suffer from pain;
- the sedentary lifestyle;
- heavy physical exercise;
- it's hard physical work.
The symptoms back pain
A symptom is something the patient feels, whereas a sign can be noticed by the doctor. For example, pain is a symptom, as the rash is a sign of.
The main symptom is pain is pain in any part of. Sometimes the pain extends to the buttocks, leg or the shoulder, the arm.
Contact your doctor immediately if the pain is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- weight loss;
- high body temperature (fever);
- back pain relieve after the other;
- pain radiating to the leg;
- the pain below the knee;
- the presence of fresh injuries to the spine;
- incontinence of urine (even in small doses);
- difficulty urinating - urine passes to the difficulty;
- fecal incontinence - loss of control over the process of bowel movement;
- the numbness in the genital area;
- numbness of anus;
- numbness in the buttocks.
Seek expert advice if you belong to these groups:
- people under age 22 years or older than 55 years;
- patients taking steroids for a few months;
- the cancer patients;
- the patients who once had cancer;
- patients with low immunity.
The back pain causes
The human spine is a complex structure consisting of muscles, ligaments, tendons, disks and bones. Intervertebral discs are located between each pair of the vertebrae and function as shock absorbers friction. Problems with these components can lead to pain in the spine. In some cases, the cause of the pain cannot be established.
The most common causes of back pain:
- stretched muscles;
- stretched ligaments;
- lifting heavy incorrect posture;
- lifting too heavy objects;
- the result is a sudden awkward movement;
- spasm of the muscles.
The following structural problems cause back pain:
- protrusion of the intervertebral disc. The fracture of the exterior casing of the disk drive vbuhanie the internal content of the external. This can lead to a nerve, and as a result, the pain;
- herniated disc - bulging of internal disk content of big dimensions;
- sciatica-sharp, shooting pain that radiates from the bottom, rear area of the foot caused by protrusion or herniation of the intervertebral disc, compressing the image;
- joints patients with osteoarthritis often experience problems with the joints of the hip, lumbar spine, knee, hand. In some cases, spinal stenosis, as the space around the spinal cord is narrowed;
- the abnormal curvature of the spine -if the spine curves in an unusual way the patient is more likely to suffer from pain in the spine. An example of irregular bending of scoliosis in which the spine curves to the side;
- osteoporosis - bones, including the vertebrae become brittle, porous, resulting in increased fractures.
Below are some other causes of back pain:
- cauda equina - horse tail is a bundle of nerve roots that branches off the spinal cord. The people of the cauda equina syndrome feel a dull pain in the lumbar spine, buttocks. Can also be loss of sensation of the buttocks, the genitals, the thighs. Sometimes people with cauda equina syndrome suffer from incontinence of urine and/or feces;
- cancer of the spine - a tumor located in the spine, can compress the nerves, leading to pain;
- the infection of the spine - if the patient has a high body temperature and a painful, hot area in the back, then this may indicate that the infection of the spine;
- other infections - pelvic inflammatory disease in women, infections of the bladder, kidney can cause back pain;
- sleep disorders - people with sleep disorders are more likely to experience pain in the spine compared with the population;
- herpes zoster infection, which can affect the nerves;
- the wrong mattress - mattress does not support specific parts of the body, as well as to ensure that flat back position there is a risk of developing pain in the spine.
Can also cause pain in the spine can be certain movements or postures, such as prolonged driving, coughing, etc.
What do we do, if it hurts back
If you experience pain for several days, then the following tips will help reduce the pain, discomfort, speed recovery:
- stay as active as possible;
- if necessary, use the over-the-counter painkillers;
- use hot and cold compress. Fit a bottle with hot water and a bag of frozen vegetables.
Despite the fact that it's hard to be optimistic, if it hurts, don't be discouraged. This speeds up the healing process.
The prolonged pain duration is six weeks, consult a doctor. The doctor, a medical history, perform the examination, and if necessary, sent for further study. The doctor may order x-rays if you think that the problem is the bone system, or osteoarthrosis, CT (computed tomography) or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) of the assumed inter-vertebral hernia or other problem associated with the soft tissue or nerves. In this situation, MRI is the best choice. In addition, the doctor may recommend that in the lab, or survey the electrical activity of the nerves (EMG).
After the diagnosis the doctor prescribes treatment. In most cases, conservative treatment, which may include the following:
- special exercises;
- traction of the spine;
Severe cases, there may be doubt as to whether the operation. The surgeon will help you choose the appropriate method and advise on the possible complications. For a time after the operation, recommended the passage of the prophylactic treatment of the spine. Remember that the surgery is very dangerous, because the operational area is located near nerves.