The coccyx is called the lower spine, formed the advanced at 4 to 5 fused vertebrae. If these vertebrae support the tail of the human ancestors, and now the tail bone is vestigial, useless organ. However, it is the remnant of injury, different diseases can cause a person severe pain, discomfort: can't properly sit, walk, sleep, it's hard to find a comfortable position.
Often the patient is still not able to determine the exact localization of pain, complaining to the doctor for pain in the tailbone (this pain is called the anorectal). The pain coccyx is actually called coccyalgia.
Experts have to decide whether the pain in the diseases, injuries to the coccyx, or the pain coming from other organs (intestine, pelvis, urinary organs) , simply just "there", the tail bone. The solution to this question depends on the treatment.
Causes of pain in the coccyx
- The result of the injury.
- Diseases of the spine affecting the tailbone (lower back pain, displacement of the intervertebral discs pinching the nerve endings, etc.).
- Diseases of the muscles, nerves, the pelvic floor.
- Pathological processes in the pool.
- The disease directly or sigmoid colon (hemorrhoids, sigmoid, proctitis, anal fissures).
- The failure of the dam (for example, due to a difficult birth).
- Trauma to the perineum during childbirth (bleeding in the subcutaneous tissues around the coccyx).
- The excessive extension of the coccyx to the difficult birth.
- Cicatrice from lesions of the anus, the resulting complications of the surgery.
- Disorders of the intestines, which is common in the constipation or diarrhoea, consequently, the habit of sitting for long periods of time in the toilet.
- Diseases of the genitourinary system (cystitis, adnexitis, etc.).
- A cyst of the coccyx.
- The habit of constantly sitting on upholstered furniture.
- Emotional turmoil, the stress.
- Tight clothing (jeans) that puts pressure on the coccyx.
- Idiopathic pain (pain of unknown origin). Such pain suddenly appears and suddenly disappears. Approximately 1/3 of the pain in the coccyx refers to idiopathic.
Characteristics of pain in the coccyx in different diseases
Pain after injury
Trauma often causes severe, sharp, acute pain in the coccyx. Damage to the coccyx (broken, fracture, contusion, dislocation, displacement) may occur when a bad fall or blow to the buttocks. Pain after injury may be the nature of the attacks, or a constant. When you walk in a sitting position increase. Localization of various post-traumatic pain in the coccyx, or near it (top, bottom, side).
Usually pain in the coccyx can occur directly after the injury. But in some cases it can be lightly expressed, fast passing, and a few years later, when the patient forgot the injury, suddenly appears a strong, burning pain.
Pain in the coccyx, combined with the pain in the lower back, sacrum
The osteochondrosis, cysts, of the spine, the lumbar or sacral class is characterized by a combination of pain in the coccyx back pain in the sacrum. However, the main complaint, the patient's pain in the home, along the way– that the pain is "give" in the tail bone.
The same clinical picture can be observed in the pinching of the nerve endings in the lumbar, sacral part of the spine. Compression of the sciatic nerve (sciatica) is accompanied by burning, sharp pain on the tail bone or just above it.
Lumbar, sacrum pain is accompanied by pain in the coccyx, hemorrhoids, diseases of the rectum.
Pain in the coccyx when you stand up
Such pain is not common in the injury of the coccyx. Most often associated with postoperative scars of the perineum, or pelvic adhesions cavity, formed after the surgery.
Pain in the coccyx, when turned
Pain when bending, usually the result of chronic inflammatory processes in the organs located near the coccyx (the large intestine or the bladder, the uterus, the appendix).
Pain in the coccyx, when tilting occurs, if the patient has the following diseases:
- sigmoid colon;
- endometritis, etc.
Pain radiating to coccyx
As already mentioned, pain radiating to tail bone, characteristic of arthritis, cysts, of the spine, as well as the hemorrhoids, inflammation of the hip diseases of the rectum, etc. Such pain can also be caused by postoperative scarring.
Pain in the coccyx when sitting
The reason for such pain in the habit of constantly sitting on upholstered furniture. The tail bone in a bad situation. The vessels that give blood, stagnation. This leads to the deposition of salts on the vertebrae that form the coccyx, in the event the pain.
Pain in the coccyx when sitting complaining about athletes – cyclists and the people participating in horse riding. There is a reason the pain is different: micro trauma to the coccyx, occurs when engaging in these specific activities.
Pain in the coccyx when sitting possible, women after childbirth, when there was a deformation (excessive flattening of the inter-vertebral joints).
Finally, pain in the coccyx, aggravated when sitting, a typical dermoid cyst of the coccyx. Dermoid cyst is a congenital developmental disorder, which is the formation in the coccyx, the cavity is filled, the tissue will grow your hair.
Aching, drawing pain in the coccyx
Aching pain in the coccyx can occur if the inflammation of the internal genital organs (prostate, or BPH in men inflammation of the ovaries, fallopian tubes, women).
Excruciating pain in the coccyx is a further symptom of degenerative disc disease in the lumbar or sacral spine. Sometimes it happens, when hemorrhoids, as well as the long sit on the toilet due to frequent constipation.
Pain in the coccyx
The pain this may occur, if the descent of the dam, the presence of scars in the anus, diseases of the rectum. Typically the pain during the coccyx, trauma (fracture, contusion, subluxatio the tail bone), that happened a few years ago.
Pain above the tail bone
Pain localized to above the coccyx, characteristic of neuralgia' (inflammation of the nerves emanating from the lumbar or sacral spine).
Pain in the coccyx, the menstruációkor
Such pain is also accompanied by a number of gynecological, nervous system diseases. May be reasonable to begin the investigation, on the advice of a gynecologist, just to rule out gynecological diseases, to consult a neurologist.
Pain in the tailbone during pregnancy, after childbirth
Pregnant women often pain in the coccyx. It hurts the spine of the pregnancy for various reasons:
- Trauma to the tailbone that took place a few years ago, which was never found.
- The calcium deficiency of the bone system.
- Inflammatory diseases of the internal genital organs.
- Physiological changes in the body: when preparing the parent's room, the pelvic organs change in the normal position. The fetus grows, the uterus increases, changes of the organs in the vicinity. The tail bone and is adjustable. As the coccyx vertebrae are fused to each other, this deviation is very painful.
Pain in the coccyx after birth, said they experienced gynecologist, what happened to birth trauma: difficult birth caused by bleeding in the soft tissues around the coccyx, or what happened to the excessive straightening (which is possible if a large amount of fruit).
Pain in the coccyx men
In men, pain in the coccyx caused by the so-called "pellentesque disease." This disease occurs, common riding unsprung delivery (crawler tractors, army tanks, armored personnel carriers). The load on the coccyx when riding on such equipment is excessive. It can also cause inflammation of pilonidal sinus or cyst of coccyx. This is the step, or a cyst, a hollow tube running under the skin, at the end of the coccyx, blindly ending.
The inflammation of the pilonidal sinus, the so-called "pellentesque disease." If the inflammation get into the purulent stage, often form the fistula – pus breaks out. The treatment - only surgical.
How to treat the pain in the coccyx
A preliminary survey
The effective treatment of pain in the coccyx, it is very important to determine the reason. In such patients, the pain appeal primarily to the proctologist. This is a specialist, if necessary, read to the patient (patient) to a gynaecologist, neurologist, surgeon, osteopath. Sometimes it is necessary with the aid of a therapist.
All such doctors not only examines the patient but also very detailed interrogation. The patient should be to talk in detail about the nature of pain, the localization, do you remember the previous trauma, and previous surgery.
Some patients with pain in the coccyx, the exact diagnosis cannot be established. Then apply symptomatic treatment, but in most cases this leads to good results. Sometimes, pain in the coccyx go away by themselves without treatment. But I hope it is not necessary - if you experience such pain is to see your doctor.
The main aspects of the treatment
In most cases, the pain in the coccyx is treated conservatively (i.e. without surgery). Comprehensive treatment involves giving the patients the rest, analgesics, restore the impaired circulation through massage, chiropractic, physical therapy, exercise, physical therapy.
All identified inherent in compulsory treatment.
To remove or weaken the negative emotions are applied (counseling) neuropsycho tropic drugs.
No help can be given to the doctor only when the pain in the coccyx in pregnancy. Anti-inflammatory, pain medicine is contraindicated to pregnant. Radiological diagnosis is also excluded. Therefore, women have to bear the pain, the coccyx, is enclosed under a soft pillow or inflatable rubber round shaped donuts (sold in pharmacies).
Here in this circle, it is recommended to not only pregnant women, but the patients with the pain of such localization. This simple tool eliminates the burden, pressure on the coccyx while sitting, thus reducing pain.
Chiropractic, massage, acupuncture
Pain in the coccyx greatly facilitated by using finger massage on the muscles of the rectum and massage the muscles of the pelvic floor (if you have spasm).
The manual therapy techniques performed by experienced professionals, it improves the circulation of blood to the coccyx, eliminate the blood stasis, relieve muscle spasm, help restore the range of motion of the coccyx.
Acupuncture (acupuncture) is often used in the pain in the coccyx, it significantly reduces the intensity. The correct choice of the biologically active points acupuncture can completely remove the pain.
The method of physical therapy the pain in the coccyx apply:
- laser treatment;
- electrotherapy (electrode into the rectum);
- diadynamic currents;
- the application of the paraffin;
- therapeutic mud;
- the ozokerite.
To practice, perform morning exercises to the person with pain in the coccyx is not only possible, but necessary. Certain limitations: the exercise, running, jumping, brisk walking, sudden inprobus movement, straining.
Exercises for pain in the coccyx should include the following exercises:
- Lying on your back on the floor, bend your knees and lift them to the side. Put your palm on the inner side of the knee. Try to join knees, hand, however, contrary to this movement.The number of repeat 8-12 times, short intervals (10-15 seconds).
- The same situation is recorded among the bent knees, the ball (football, volleyball, or another, of the same size). The palm of the belly. The force exciting the knees on the ball for 5-7 seconds, until the back of his hand, to prevent the protrusion of the abdomen.The number of repeats 6-8 times, the same intervals, and the rest as the first exercise.
- Lying on back, hold ball between legs pulled to his feet. The force exciting the ball stops for 5-7 seconds. The number of repeats 6-8 times; at intervals of 10-15 seconds.
- Lying on your back, raise your hands, bent at the knees, and lift your hips 3-5 seconds. The gluteal muscle to strain. The number of repeats 6-8 times; at intervals of 10-15 seconds.
The exercises for pain in the coccyx, the patient needs to run slowly, steadily, rhythmically, resting between repetitions of the exercise. You can turn the relaxing music. The greater efficiency it is recommended to do a set of exercises twice a day.
The pain in the coccyx traditional medicine use the following tools:
- The impact of magnet: ring magnet, moving the coccyx in a circle, in a clockwise direction for 15-20 minutes 2-3 times a day.
- To compress the tincture of Valerian: a piece of cotton fabric, moisten the pharmacy tincture of Valerian, to the sore place. Cover it with a piece of plastic, then any warm layer (fleece, scarf, etc.). To fix the compress with adhesive tape and leave overnight.
- Pine oil rubbed into the coccyx 3 times a day. It helps to relieve the inflammation, reduce the pain.
- Lubrication iodine: night, before bed, pre-heated the coccyx put tincture of iodine, warm wrap. Repeat not more often than 2-3 times a week. Duration of treatment – 1.5-2 months.
- Compresses made of blue clay: add to 500 gr. clay a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, mix well. Before going to bed apply a layer of this mixture on the affected area, cover with polythene, to warm (like all packages), we leave for the night.
- Rubbing radish juice: mix 300 ml of fresh radish juice, 100 ml ethanol, 200 ml of honey. RUB it over the affected area 3 times a day. Store the mixture in the fridge in a glass jar with the lid tightly closed.
- The ointment of the mummy (broke my tailbone): 1/2 oz. Shilajit is mixed with such quantities of rose oil to a lotion, the consistency of the thick cream. Rubbed into the coccyx 2 times a day.